Sunday, June 3, 2012

Driving

This is the second piece that I wrote many years ago.  In fact, if I remember correctly, the original version of this was written when I was in high school.  





he gentle bumping of the car as it hit seams in the bridge had the effect of lulling me into a sleepy trance.  I lay reclined, quietly, in the passenger’s seat, feeling the heat of the sun across my lap and right forearm.  There was a slight whirring noise that came from the fan, and I could feel the almost-too-cold air of the air conditioner blowing into my face.
            One final big bump and I knew we had left the bridge.  Now the tires played a new tune on the asphalt highway, and I relaxed as I listened to the dull humming song of the road.
            My legs felt uncomfortably sticky on the vinyl material of the seat.  Trying to get more comfortable, I barely lifted each leg to break the sticky seal the seat had taken.  The noise and sensation of it reminded me of removing a band-aid that had been stuck too long.
            I heard no noise from the driver except an occasional shift in his seat, and the radio was so quiet as to be barely heard.  A note or two would reach my ears, but never enough to help me identify a song; just separate notes here and there wafting over me, not trying to compete with the incessant hum of the road.
            The car rounded a corner causing my body to lean limply to the side, and finally the mixture of sounds lulled me to sleep.


4 comments:

  1. Love the new blog! I'm so glad that you've kept up on your writing. Reading and writing are some of the best escapes for this hectic world. Where else can you literally write your own reality??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm still waiting for that inspiration to hit, but I haven't really sat down to put any words on paper either. Writing is so hard, but satisfying when it's done. I don't think I'll ever get used to that reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Don't get it right, just get it written” - James Thurber.

    This is a good reminder that your writing doesn't have to be perfect or even very good as long as you're writing SOMETHING. Remember, you can always re-write it or (gasp!) even toss it. Creative writing is like a muscle and it will atrophy without use. Here is some tough love - You're a great writer. So stop looking back at your old stuff and start writing some new stuff. Even if the new stuff is expanding on the old stuff! It doesn't have to be the next great American novel but it's not going to be anything but those damning blank pages unless you get started. Still stuck? Still chasing that elusive muse? Write what you like to read. Some of the best stories came out of writers who just ran out of a good book to read. It also might keep you motivated to continue. And at the end of the day (hour, minute) and it's crap? Let marinate and then come back to fix it. Sometimes stories are puzzles that you have to sort out. The point is: Just get it written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tough love :) I completely agree about stories being puzzles. I was just thinking that this morning when I finally sat myself down in front of the computer to do some writing. It's like all the puzzle pieces are in my head jumbled up and I just have to write them down to make the picture. Well, that makes it sound easier than it is. As for writing what I've liked reading, I just got done reading the Fifty Shades trilogy LOL. This morning I really sat down to write. But I found that what I wrote, while I wanted it to be creative writing, ended up being more well suited to my other blog about me as a mom. I feel like I've lost the creative writing edge. It has atrophied, perhaps, as you mentioned. Despite my "failure" this morning, I did do some writing that led to a post on the other blog, and I will continue trying to put the puzzle together.

    ReplyDelete